Notify Message
Forums
#8237488 Aug 03, 2013 at 02:29 PM
67 Posts
The app inventor process ran very slowly on my computer. After waiting long minutes to run the emulator and test it, then download it to my computer and upload it to generate a QR code (I don't have an Android device) I notice the instruction to use a different cat photo. I'm just submitting it with the original cat photo because I really don't want to go through all that again.
Alfonso Gonzalez
Middle School Science Teacher
Tweets @EducatorAl
Blogs @ http://educatoral.com/wordpress
+0
#8237907 Aug 03, 2013 at 04:24 PM · Edited 8 years ago
Guild Officers
48 Posts


MissGeek (aka Lori Ferguson)

LinkedIn
Twitter
Google+
+0
#8238332 Aug 03, 2013 at 06:16 PM
110 Posts
#8236424 Dr. Hsu wrote:

#8234915 yvonneh wrote:

Well this was a long drawn out process as I had to try and figure out where to store the app and then store it before being able to create the bar code.
I was surprised at how much like Scratch this looks - not that I have used Scratch myself but have watched students playing with their creations from their extension classes outside of school.




This is a picture of the QR code - I would like someone to test it for me if possible as I don't have access to an Android phone. I tried storing the file in a Google Drive but it is hard to figure out how to link that to post it here. If this doesn't work I guess I could try uploding to my blog instead.
Thanks :)


Have you tested your app using the emulator?


Yes I did and it worked. However I am not sure that the barcode and link side of things works.
Apologies for non attendance at the live event as it is at midnight in my time zone :(
+0
#8240400 Aug 04, 2013 at 07:15 AM
Guild Officers
18 Posts
Did anyone just have a problem installing the App Inventor program? When I downloaded it to my mac I got a ".dmg" file and it is not opening in any way. The instructions say I should be downloading a ".pkg"???
Shelley Rodrigo, Ph.D.
Blog: http://rrodrigo.faculty.digitalodu.com/
Twitter: rrodrigo
"That is how innovation happens; chance favors the connected mind"
--Steven Johnson
+0
#8246053 Aug 05, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Adventurer
97 Posts
#8240400 rrodrigo wrote:

Did anyone just have a problem installing the App Inventor program? When I downloaded it to my mac I got a ".dmg" file and it is not opening in any way. The instructions say I should be downloading a ".pkg"???


When you first downloaded it, it is .dmg. After you click on it, it the .pkg installer will show up.
Just double click on that .pkg file. :)
+0
#8246074 Aug 05, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Adventurer
97 Posts
#8238332 yvonneh wrote:

#8236424 Dr. Hsu wrote:

#8234915 yvonneh wrote:

Well this was a long drawn out process as I had to try and figure out where to store the app and then store it before being able to create the bar code.
I was surprised at how much like Scratch this looks - not that I have used Scratch myself but have watched students playing with their creations from their extension classes outside of school.




This is a picture of the QR code - I would like someone to test it for me if possible as I don't have access to an Android phone. I tried storing the file in a Google Drive but it is hard to figure out how to link that to post it here. If this doesn't work I guess I could try uploding to my blog instead.
Thanks :)


Have you tested your app using the emulator?


Yes I did and it worked. However I am not sure that the barcode and link side of things works.
Apologies for non attendance at the live event as it is at midnight in my time zone :(


I scanned it but it requires me to log in. You would need to make the QR Code image available for public access.
+0
#8246125 Aug 05, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Adventurer
97 Posts
#8237488 Gonzalez wrote:

The app inventor process ran very slowly on my computer. After waiting long minutes to run the emulator and test it, then download it to my computer and upload it to generate a QR code (I don't have an Android device) I notice the instruction to use a different cat photo. I'm just submitting it with the original cat photo because I really don't want to go through all that again.


works fine!
+0
#8246132 Aug 05, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Adventurer
97 Posts
#8237907 MissGeek wrote:




works fine~
I did notice that you used textbox for "Pet the Kitty", which allows typing.
You might want to use "label" instead of "textbox" for the purpose of this app.
+0
#8246370 Aug 05, 2013 at 01:08 PM
49 Posts
No trouble with app inventor & blocks. Used the emulator and the QR code to load it on my phone. Pretty cool. More frustrated trying to get images up on the forum site.


https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb43qmngib96918/hellopurr-emulator.PNG



https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuahaace9115r3g/hellopurrQR.PNG
+0
#8247604 Aug 05, 2013 at 04:54 PM
110 Posts
#8246074 Dr. Hsu wrote:

#8238332 yvonneh wrote:

#8236424 Dr. Hsu wrote:

#8234915 yvonneh wrote:

Well this was a long drawn out process as I had to try and figure out where to store the app and then store it before being able to create the bar code.
I was surprised at how much like Scratch this looks - not that I have used Scratch myself but have watched students playing with their creations from their extension classes outside of school.




This is a picture of the QR code - I would like someone to test it for me if possible as I don't have access to an Android phone. I tried storing the file in a Google Drive but it is hard to figure out how to link that to post it here. If this doesn't work I guess I could try uploding to my blog instead.
Thanks :)


Have you tested your app using the emulator?


Yes I did and it worked. However I am not sure that the barcode and link side of things works.
Apologies for non attendance at the live event as it is at midnight in my time zone :(


I scanned it but it requires me to log in. You would need to make the QR Code image available for public access.


Okay I think I have it now - a bit different from sharing a Google Doc.
+0
#8252522 Aug 06, 2013 at 03:48 PM
Adventurer
97 Posts
#8246370 Biosynth wrote:

No trouble with app inventor & blocks. Used the emulator and the QR code to load it on my phone. Pretty cool. More frustrated trying to get images up on the forum site.


https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb43qmngib96918/hellopurr-emulator.PNG



https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuahaace9115r3g/hellopurrQR.PNG


ha! funny image.
I did need to scroll down to see "Pet the Kitty".
+0
#8271382 Aug 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM
4 Posts
Still need to try this on an android phone, but here is my QR code.

+0
#8292586 Aug 14, 2013 at 08:59 PM
25 Posts
Here is my photo of the app on the emulator:



and here is the QR Code to download the app


Now if only I had an Android device to try it out!
Pam Broviak
Twitter: pbroviak
Websites: Public Works Group, Grid Works, GovGrid
+0
#8295976 Aug 15, 2013 at 03:05 PM
Adventurer
97 Posts
#8271382 Ceraksa wrote:

Still need to try this on an android phone, but here is my QR code.


works great on my android device!
+0
#8295991 Aug 15, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Adventurer
97 Posts
#8292586 Cloacina wrote:

Here is my photo of the app on the emulator:



and here is the QR Code to download the app


Now if only I had an Android device to try it out!


Works great on my Android device (meow~)!
+0
#8659848 Nov 02, 2013 at 04:01 PM
6 Posts
+0
#9140948 Feb 22, 2014 at 02:34 PM · Edited 7 years ago
7 Posts

On click I had the button image change but can only return if clicked again.
I would like to find a timer option.


_____ ____ ______ ______
\__ \ _/ ___\ / ___// ___/
/ __ \\ \___ \___ \ \___ \
(____ /\___ >____ >____ >
\/ \/ \/ \/


+0
#10092684 Oct 01, 2014 at 08:55 AM
13 Posts
I used my cat Penny. Sorry, crazy cat owner.
+0
#10093071 Oct 01, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Adventurer
97 Posts
Your image is not coming up.
I checked the link you provided.
You might want to use this instead and post it again.

https://sites.google.com/site/lmsdshowers/home/kittypurrQR.png

#10092684 Benjis wrote:

I used my cat Penny. Sorry, crazy cat owner.

+0
#10093132 Oct 01, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Adventurer
97 Posts
Nice job on the first app!
You could consider adding the vibration effect (shaking device to activate that), too.
Adding an icon for your app would be a good idea it doesn't look generic (Android icon) when it was downloaded to your device.

#10093071 Dr. Hsu wrote:

Your image is not coming up.
I checked the link you provided.
You might want to use this instead and post it again.

https://sites.google.com/site/lmsdshowers/home/kittypurrQR.png

#10092684 Benjis wrote:

I used my cat Penny. Sorry, crazy cat owner.

+0